2nd Floor, House 429, Road 7
Baridhara DOHS, Dhaka
BDLP | BANGLADESH LAW PARTNERS - Full Service Law Firm in Dhaka, Bangladesh
Advocate, Supreme Court of Bangladesh
Arbitrator & Mediator
Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators CIArb, London, UK
Barrister Alam was admitted to the bar of England & Wales in 2013 but his legal career started during his undergraduate years at Brighton, Sussex, UK when he started volunteering for Impetus (a not-for-profit) charity. At Impetus, Mr. Alam assisted vulnerable individuals who had become involved in the criminal justice system. Later, he continued his volunteering work at The Advice Clinic run by the City Law School.
Upon returning to Bangladesh, he immediately joined a reputed law firm as an Associate and later joined another well known law firm where he was promoted to the post of Chambers Coordinator.
Mr Alam became one of the youngest lawyers in Dhaka to be made Partner of a leading partnership law firm in 2016 along side the likes of Barrister H.R Khan.
At present, he has assumed the role of managing partner of BDLP with the help of other working & silent partners. His key motivation is to secure ends of justice and his key objective is to provide outstanding and relief oriented legal service to chambers' clientelle.
Professionally, Mr. Alam enjoys litigation and also works as an advisory to several corporate houses and high net worth individuals.
- Author, The Enterprise Act 2002: Past, Present & Future, SSRN
- Regional Contributor, Doing Business 2015: Going Beyond Efficiency
- Author, Medical Negligence: Should Judges Take a Back Row Seat?, SSRN & PLT
- Author, Commercial Litigation: Kulkarni's Legacy & the Nemo Dat Rule, SSRN
- Author, Avoiding VAT Disputes 2015
- Regional Contributor, Women, Business and the Law 2016: Getting to Equal, World Bank Group
- Regional Contributor, Doing Business 2016, World Bank Group
- Regional Contributor, Doing Business 2017, World Bank Group
- Regional Contributor, Doing Business 2018, World Bank Group
- Regional Contributor, Women, Business and the Law 2018, World Bank Group
- Regional Contributor, Doing Business 2019, World Bank Group
Highest Professional Qualifications Summary
- Advocate, Supreme Court of Bangladesh
- Barrister-at-Law, Hon'ble Society of Lincoln's Inn
- Called to the Bar of England & Wales
- Former Faculty of Law, Stellar School of Professional Accounting
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, CIArb, London
Highest Educational Qualifications Summary
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law from City University London
- LL.B Hon's from the University of Sussex, England
- Advanced Level Certificate in Law from OCR, UK
- Regional Contributor, World Bank Group
- Provided due diligence to an European conglomerate for a power plant project.
- Conducted land vetting in a 212 MW power plant project
- Conducted documentary & physical land vetting for RLPC, a Sri Lanka based company for a power plant project
- Advised a global health care NGO on their possible set-up and operation in Bangladesh
- Advised an UK based not-for-profit by providing due diligence on land & regulatory matters
- Appeared against an airline company on employment related matters.
- Advised a China-Bangla joint venture on purchase of Barge and necessary legal requirements.
- Managed transaction for a foreign client for the acquisition of over 300,000 square feet for setting up battery factory
- Advised a foreign legal body on different family laws of Bangladesh including the laws on adoption/guardianship and child custody
- Provided legal opinion to a local clothing manufacturer on cash incentives for 100% export oriented industry
- Successfully argued on behalf of and obtained favorable mediation outcome for a LPG gas distributor
- Advised a foreign NGO on entry options in Bangladesh
- Advised an MNC on several HR & Legal issues and overlooked the preparation of its HR Manual
- Drafted HR manual for a foreign bank in Bangladesh
- Contributor to Women, Business & Law